Are you looking for some inspirational quotes on how to deal with failure?
Do you feel like your goals and plans have all fallen apart, and you’re looking to get your confidence back?
Here’s the good news.
I know. You’ve heard it before. You always learn from your mistakes and failures. Your eyes are already glazing over.
BUT…….. It’s TRUE if you frame things differently.
Failure is painful. When you make a mistake, you cringe. Your skin gets red hot and flushed with embarrassment when you mess up, and there’s that twinge in your stomach. These are perfectly normal feelings, and you’re not alone.
I don’t know many, well, any people who shout with glee, “Yay, I made a mistake today!”
I’ve been there too many times to count, and then I’m hard on myself and absolutely sure that I should give up because I’m such a failure. The bigger the flop, the most profound the shame. However, who taught us that mistakes are failures and shameful? Society? Family pressure?
In my quest to find a job to work from home because of my health issues and to regain control of my life, I tried for any non-phone job that I could find. Work as a police officer doesn’t necessarily translate into the work from home world easily. Someone suggested transcriptionist, but I only typed an average typing speed (or if I’m completely honest, less ?).
I tried a job as an Internet Analyst for Leapforce. Sounds pretty cool, right? No, I failed miserably.
How can I ever run a business working from home if I can’t do that job?
But I did learn a lesson. Frame things differently.
I asked myself what I learned from that job, and it was simple yet profound. I learned that it wasn’t the job for me, and it lead me to start my freelance writing career which was the right career for me.
The most successful people tell you that they aim to fail at least weekly. They found what didn’t work and adapted whatever they were working on accordingly. And thanks to that we have electricity, phones, the internet, and many other innovative services and products.
So, keep that in mind and read these quotes for some inspiration on how to deal with failure and turn it into a success.
Thomas Edison said it best; “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”
Get ready for 101 Quotes about overcoming failure. Some accept it, some put a positive spin on it, while others take comfort in that the experience they gained made them wiser and more successful in the long run.
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Military Leaders
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. – Winston Churchill
2. Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. – Napoleon Hill
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill
4. Success is the result of perfection, hard work, learning from failure, loyalty, and persistence. Colin Powell
5. Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. – Winston Churchill
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. – Winston Churchill
7. We failed, but in the good providence of God, apparent failure often proves a blessing. Robert E. Lee
8. Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul. Douglas MacArthur
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Male Entrepreneurs
I hate to be a failure. I hate and regret the failure of my marriages. I would gladly give all my millions for just one lasting marital success. J. Paul Getty
9. The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. – Henry Ford
Failure is success if we learn from it. – Malcolm Forbes
I hate to be a failure. I hate and regret the failure of my marriages. I would gladly give all my millions for just one lasting marital success. – J. Paul Getty
- Failure is not a single, cataclysmic event. You don’t fail overnight. Instead, failure is a few errors in judgment, repeated every day. – Jim Rohn
A hatred of failure has always been part of my nature. – J. Paul Getty
Do not be embarrassed by your failures, learn from them, and start again. Richard Branson
- Failure is an option here. If things are not failing, you’re not innovating enough. – Elon Musk
It’s fine to celebrate success, but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure. – Bill Gates
I’ve come to believe that all my past failure and frustration were actually laying the foundation for the understandings that have created the new level of living I now enjoy. – Tony Robbins
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Athletes
I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I’ve been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. – Michael Jordan
- You gotta lose ’em some of the time. When you do, lose ’em right. – Casey Stengel
He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. – Muhammad Ali
21. You have to be able to accept failure to get better. – Lebron James
- I can accept failure; everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying. – Michael Jordan
Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday. – Wilma Rudolph
- Failure is not fatal, but failure to might be. – John Wooden
Failure happens all the time. It happens every day in practice. What makes you better is how you react to it. – Mia Hamm
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Academics
- I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work. – Thomas A. Edison
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. – Albert Einstein
- Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. – Thomas Edison
You are capable of more than you know. Choose a goal that seems right for you and strive to be the best, however hard the path. Aim high. Behave honorably. Prepare to be alone at times, and to endure failure. Persist! The world needs all you can give. – E. O. Wilson
I think and think for months and years. Ninety-nine times, the conclusion is false. The hundredth time I am right. – Albert Einstein
- Show me a thoroughly satisfied man, and I will show you a failure. – Thomas A. Edison
Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out. – Benjamin Franklin
Restlessness is discontent, and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man and I will show you a failure. – Thomas A. Edison
- It is not a disgrace to fail. Failing is one of the greatest arts in the world. – Charles Kettering
- One of the common failings among honorable people is a failure to appreciate how thoroughly dishonorable some other people can be, and how dangerous it is to trust them. Thomas Sowell
There are some defeats more triumphant than victories. Michel de Montaigne
A failure is not always a mistake; it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying. – B. F. Skinner
- One’s only rival is one’s own potentialities. One’s only failure is failing to live up to one’s own possibilities. In this sense, every man can be a king, and must, therefore, be treated like a king. – Abraham Maslow
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Motivational Speakers and Spiritual Leaders
Any fact facing us is not as important as our attitude toward it, for that determines our success or failure. The way you think about a fact may defeat you before you ever do anything about it. You are overcome by the fact because you think you are. – Norman Vincent Peale
To establish true self-esteem, we must concentrate on our successes and forget about the failures and the negatives in our lives. – Denis Waitley
- Our best successes often come after our greatest disappointments. – Henry Ward Beecher
Sometimes the best gain is to lose. – George Herbert
43. The season of failure is the best time for sowing the seeds of success. – Parmahansa Yogananda
Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing. – Denis Waitley
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Writers and Artists
- The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one. – Elbert Hubbard.
All the world loves a good loser. Kin Hubbard
47. If at first, you don’t succeed, failure may be your style. Quentin Crisp
My fault, my failure, is not in the passions I have, but in my lack of control of them. – Jack Kerouac
49. The only risk of failure is promotion. – Scott Adams
- There could be no honor in a sure success, but much might be wrested from a sure defeat. – Ann Landers
Success comes when people act together; failure tends to happen alone. – Deepak Chopra
All human actions are equivalent… and all are on principle doomed to failure. – Carl Sandburg
- A man can fail many times, but he isn’t a failure until he begins to blame somebody else. – John Burroughs
Mistakes are the portals to discovery. – James Joyce
55. It is not because the truth is too difficult to see that we make mistakes… we make mistakes because the easiest and most comfortable course for us is to seek insight where it accords with our emotions – especially selfish ones. – Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
I really don’t think life is about the I-could-have-beens. Life is only about the I-tried-to-do. I don’t mind the failure, but I can’t imagine that I’d forgive myself if I didn’t try. – Nikki Giovanni
- Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit. – Napoleon Hill
They who have conquered doubt and fear have conquered failure. – James Allen
- Success and failure are equally disastrous. – Tennessee Williams
My life has been nothing but a failure. – Claude Monet
- I think you can have 10,000 explanations for failure, but no good explanation for success. – Paulo Coelho
It is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all, in which case you have failed by default. – J.K. Rowling
When I was young, I observed that nine out of ten things I did were failures. So I did ten times more work. – George Bernard Shaw
- Before success comes in any man’s life, he’s sure to meet with much temporary defeat and, perhaps, some failures. When defeat overtakes a man, the easiest and the most logical thing to do is to quit. That’s exactly what the majority of men do. – Napoleon Hill
Failure after long perseverance is much grander than never to have a striving good enough to be called a failure. – George Eliot
If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost. – Zig Ziglar
The wisest of the wise may err. – Aeschylus
My reputation grows with every failure. – George Bernard Shaw
- Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. – Truman Capote
- When we give ourselves permission to fail, we, at the same time, give ourselves permission to excel. – Eloise Ristad
You cannot climb the ladder of success dressed in the costume of failure. – Zig Ziglar
There is no failure except in no longer trying. – Elbert Hubbard
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time, we fall. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- I think you have to try and fail because failure gets you closer to what you’re good at. – Louis C.K.
Failure is so important. We speak about success all the time. It is the ability to resist failure or use failure that often leads to greater success. I’ve met people who don’t want to try for fear of failing. – J. K. Rowling
The only failure one should fear is not hugging to the purpose they see as best. – George Eliot
- Remember that failure is an event, not a person. – Zig Ziglar
But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated. – Ernest Hemingway
78. Failures, repeated failures, are finger posts on the road to achievement. One fails forward toward success. – C. S. Lewis
- There are many victories worse than a defeat. – George Eliot
Failure is a detour, not a dead-end street. – Zig Ziglar
If you’re doing your best, you won’t have any time to worry about failure. – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
82. Failure after long perseverance is much grander than never to have a striving good enough to be called a failure. – George Eliot
83. But man is not made for defeat. A man can be destroyed but not defeated. -Ernest Hemingway
Ambition is the last refuge of the failure. – Oscar Wilde
There is only one failure in life possible, and that is not to be true to the best one knows. – George Eliot
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Directors, Actors, and Actresses
86. If you’re not failing every now and again, it’s a sign you’re not doing anything very innovative. – Woody Allen
87. To err is human, but it feels divine. – Mae West
You always pass failure on your way to success. – Mickey Rooney
89. I fell off my pink cloud with a thud. – Elizabeth Taylor
90. Don’t be afraid of missing opportunities. Behind every failure is an opportunity somebody wishes they had missed. – Lily Tomlin
I wasn’t afraid to fail. Something good always comes out of failure. – Anne Baxter
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Female Entrepreneurs
Success is often achieved by those who don’t know that failure is inevitable. – Coco Chanel
93. I don’t believe in failure. It is not failure if you enjoyed the process. – Oprah Winfrey
94. For every failure, there’s an alternative course of action. You just have to find it. When you come to a roadblock, take a detour. – Mary Kay Ash
Quotes on How to Deal with Failure from Presidents and Politicians.
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. – Calvin Coolidge
My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure. – Abraham Lincoln
97. Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure… than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. – Theodore Roosevelt
98. The guns and the bombs, the rockets, and the warships, are all symbols of human failure. Lyndon B. Johnson
Through perseverance, many people win success out of what seemed destined to be certain failure. – Benjamin Disraeli
Failure is impossible. – Susan B. Anthony
It’s not necessary to fear the prospect of failure but to be determined not to fail. Jimmy Carter.
We are All Works in Progress
I remembered what a Sergeant with the Rockingham County Sheriff’s Office told me when I was just 21 and didn’t get hired for a road position. He said, “Heather, you need life experience.” Wow. Then I realized that my failure was life experience.
Failures and mistakes are lessons in life. Experiences that broaden our horizons and help us learn and grow as people. We learn what we are good at and also what we aren’t so good at. If we didn’t have failures and mistakes, then we wouldn’t grow as people. We would stay stagnant and stuck.
If I hadn’t had the experience of losing that job, then I wouldn’t be who I am today. I would probably be working some part-time office job, and feeling stuck and never reach my full potential. More importantly, I learned not to give up. As a result, it made me that much more determined to find the job for me and to grow as a writer, destined to help other people realize their dreams.
If we didn’t push ourselves because we were scared or feared failure, we would never be successful. If you’re not feeling a little scared, then you’re goals aren’t big enough.
Ultimately, failure helps shape us and makes us who we are.
So, thank you for listening to my soul-crushing failure story that had a happy ending after all! It’s all how you look at things that matter. Remember, failure is such a harsh word. Experience, not a failure. Keep fighting for your dream and know that there are other people out there that are going through the same thing you are.